Tuesday, April 1, 2008

EDU 3234: A Reflection

It is very true that the course in TESL done here in UPM is the best because I have compared it to my other friends who are also doing TESL. IN EDU 3234, we broadened our view by learning other interesting forms of literature texts such as journals, letters, reply poem and also diary entry. These types of texts are very reflective because it is based on the author's emotion and experience. I enjoyed doing Nelson Mandela's very much because he is such a good writer; despite the fact that people say it is normal to say good things to gain support from the others. He uses the symbolism of attire to present personal thoughts and approach by describing about the uniforms they wear at the prison and also the issue of long or short pants. In this subject, we have also watched two movies which are very inspiring because it depicts stories about teachers who are creative and strong willed. I really enjoyed the way our class is handled by Dr. Edwin. We have reflections done in class, movies (like the above) and sections of lesson plan to be created. So, I could not wait to see something new done every time. The most stressful moment was the selection process of thesis statements. I had never experienced such moment before because I think thesis statement is something that we have in mind. But it is more than that; it needs very careful planning because it summarize your position paper and therefore made it very crucial. Some of us even ended up with thesis statements from nowhere because they have nothing else to be said. I think literature classes should be like this; having various ways for various things and creating entrance doors for every street of knowledge in our life. I hope that I can promote this uniqueness of literature because for me, literature teacher is an art director.

No comments: