Thursday, February 21, 2008

Searching for supporting details

I have my own strategy in order to find five strong supporting details. First, I am required to read the whole book again and understand the events happening in each chapter. I was lucky to have done this novel because its chapter was named according to the plots; preventing me from being confused. Second, I have to come back to my thesis statement (Hester’s act of adultery gains her inner strength) and do a mind map on that. However, it was quite tough because Hester’s character traits of individuality overpowered the others.
I nearly give up after a few failed brainstorming sessions because I got only three points. First, Hester is the helper for other people’s soul (she helped them before and after the truth is revealed). Second, she does not give in to problems Third; Hester exists as a free individual, not threatened by speculations. After a few hours sleeping, I continue my research by referring to certain significant chapters.



Then I discovered Hester’s problems were reflected when the villagers tried to take Pearl away. Hester’s courage to defend herself and to admit that she was guilty told me that she is brave; the fourth point for my thesis statement. Hester was portrayed as a strong character because she had a lot of say in the novel and she takes control of her own life. It made my fifth point; Hester stands out from the traditional women of that era.
Now, I am ready to present my case to Dr. Edwin because the five points are quite strong and illustrated through the problems faced by Hester. I am quite sure that he will say yes to them. Now all I need to do is to thank Puan Juridah…

No comments: