Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Presentation Day

I have waited so long for this day to come; I did not dare to come out in front and volunteered to present my position paper because I thought that I would get some tips from the earlier presenters. And I did learn from some of them; I managed to deduct three main tips for the position paper oral presentation. First, never try to make general evaluation. There were a lot of us who generalize thing; the condition differs to every person. For an example, we might say that people marry for love but there are lots of the character who married for status, security and even revenge. So, we should not expect unhappiness in these people if their marriage did not work (like Heathcliff). Second, look very closely at your supporting details and make sure they have strong relation to the thesis statement. Never try to repeat your supporting details by rephrasing them. You might get caught and worse, you have to re-work. For an example, I claimed Hester Pryne is an independent woman but I have also included that she solves her own problem. These two points are quite similar, so I have to change it to “Hester Pryne takes her own responsibility”. Third, never use complicated long sentences. Present your case briefly and direct to the point. More words mean you have higher risk to be trapped by the statements you made. However, nervousness will make you lost your points and you can never be confident enough when you are presenting to Dr. Edwin, so make sure you know your points well. Lastly, never write your text, you will lose track when you are asked so many questions during the presentation.

No comments: